The Clyfford Still Museum, designed by Allied Works Architecture, has opened in Denver. Photo: Jeremy Bittermann Extra Large Image
Denver · 2011.1118
The Clyfford Still Museum in Denver, Colorado, has opened to the public. Designed by Brad Cloepfil's firm Allied Works Architecture of Portland, Oregon, and New York City, the museum holds a collection of approximately 2,400 artworks by 20th-century painter Clyfford Still. The collection includes pieces from the full trajectory of Still's 60-year career, including figurative works from the 1930s, paintings from the 1960s and 1970s, and hundreds of works on paper.
The museum is a cantilevered two-story building of richly worked concrete. The 28,500-square-foot (2,650-square-meter) facility features nine light-filled galleries on its second level, along with a library, educational and archival resources, a conservation studio, and collection storage on the first floor.
One first encounters the museum through a grove of trees and landscaped forecourt, serving as a transition from the museum's urban context. Through the trees, the structure of the building is visible, consisting of cast-in-place architectural concrete walls with a variety of surface relief and texture. Inside, the gallery heights vary to accommodate changes in scale and media. Daylight enters the galleries through a series of skylights over a perforated cast-in-place concrete ceiling.
Ennead Architects designed the new home of the Natural History Museum of Utah, in Salt Lake City, with GSBS Architects as architect of record. Photo: Courtesy Ennead Architects Extra Large Image
Salt Lake City · 2011.1118
The new home of the Natural History Museum of Utah has opened at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. Known as the Rio Tinto Center, the 163,000-square-foot (15,100-square-meter) building was designed by Ennead Architects of New York City, with the Salt Lake City office of GSBS Architects as architect of record. The building design was previously covered in this column ("Salt Lake City · 2008.0515").
Located in the foothills of the Wasatch Range, the 17-acre (seven-hectare) site rests on the high "bench" that marks the shoreline of the prehistoric pluvial Lake Bonneville, offering views of the Great Salt Lake, Oquirrh Mountains, Kennecott copper mines, Mount Olympus, and Salt Lake City. The museum stands on a series of terraces that step up the hill and lay along the contours of the site with minimal disruption to the adjacent natural landscape, while the building's jagged profile references the mountains beyond.
A voluminous central public space called the Canyon divides the building programmatically. The south wing houses exhibits, while the north wing contains research laboratories, conservation labs, collection storage spaces, and administrative offices. In the central space, bridges and vertical circulation organize the visitor sequence. The building exterior features a base of board-formed concrete and a standing-seam copper facade with accent panels of copper-zinc alloy.
LEED Gold certification is expected. Todd Schliemann, FAIA, served as design partner for Ennead Architects, and Don Weinreich AIA, LEED AP, served as management partner. David Brems, FAIA, LEED AP, served as principal-in-charge for GSBS.
The Drents Museum in Assen, the Netherlands, has reopened with a new addition by Erick van Egeraat. Photo: © J. Collingridge Extra Large Image
Assen · 2011.1116
The Drents Museum in Assen, the Netherlands, has reopened following an expansion project designed by Rotterdam-based architect Erick van Egeraat.
The existing coach-house will serve as the museum's new main entrance. Lifted one meter (3.3 feet) above the ground, the existing structure rests on a glass plinth that allows light to enter the building during the day. The historic facade was left untouched.
A key element of the project was the integration of the museum with the urban fabric. A vegetated roof atop the new below-grade space serves as a public park. Openings in the roof allow light to penetrate into the exhibition spaces below.
Boston · 2011.1111
Matthew J. Cotton AIA, has joined the Boston, Massachusetts, office of Perkins Eastman as a principal. Cotton has more than 25 years of design and management experience in healthcare, with a particular focus on academic medical center master planning. He joins Perkins Eastman from HOK, where he led the St. Louis regional healthcare practice while also establishing the healthcare practice's development in India. He previously worked for Tsoi/ Kobus & Associates and for The Ritchie Organization.
In St. Marc, Haiti, construction is underway on the Center for Rehabilitation and Excellence, designed by Shepley Bulfinch. Image: Shepley Bulfinch Extra Large Image
St. Marc · 2011.1110
Construction has begun on the Center for Rehabilitation and Excellence in St. Marc, Haiti. The 6,700-square-foot (620-square-meter) facility will provide rehabilitation services for people living with disabilities. The center will establish new national standards for rehabilitative care in a country where 10 percent of the population has some form of disability, a figure that increased dramatically following the January 2010 earthquake. The building will also house a program to train rehabilitation technicians.
The centerpiece of the facility will be a gymnasium for physical therapy. An integrated ramp will wrap the building on three sides, making patients' rehabilitation progress visible to one another while providing access to offices and training facilities on the second floor. A culturally appropriate simulated home environment will incorporate local cooking and bathing practices. The building is designed to be earthquake- and hurricane-resistant.
MASS Design Group is overseeing construction of the center, which was designed by architects from Shepley Bulfinch of Boston, Massachusetts, and Phoenix, Arizona. Joining those two firms in this collaborative pro bono project are Partners In Health (PIH), Zanmi Lasante (PIH's Haitian sister organization), Partners HealthCare, and Spaulding Rehabilitation Network, working closely with senior Haitian officials. Completion is scheduled for April 2012.
The LEED Gold-certified Walter Reed National Military Medical Center has formally opened in Bethesda, Maryland. Image: Courtesy Clark Construction Extra Large Image
Bethesda · 2011.1110
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center has formally opened in Bethesda, Maryland. Created through the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Act of 2005, the facility represents the move and consolidation of the services of Washington, D.C.'s Walter Reed Army Medical Center onto the campus of the National Naval Medical Center.
The $826 million LEED Gold-certified project includes approximately 750,000 square feet (70,000 square meters) of new construction and 450,000 square feet (42,000 square meters) of renovations, along with infrastructure improvements. It was completed by the design-build team of Clark/ Balfour Beatty, A Joint Venture, and designer-of-record HKS, Inc., based in Dallas, Texas. The initial concept design was developed by AECOM and HOK.
The design of the project's exterior respects the art deco aesthetic of the naval center's historic structures. Construction included a new 560,000-square-foot (52,000-square-meter) outpatient building, a four-story addition to an existing building, and two parking structures.
The Fractal Cafe has been completed at Boston University's academic center in Sydney, Australia. Photo: Greg Constantaris Extra Large Image
Sydney · 2011.1104
The Fractal Cafe has been completed in Chippendale, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, Australia. Local architecture firm Tony Owen Partners designed the cafe, which is located on the ground floor of the BU Sydney Academic Center, a multipurpose building that contains student housing, classrooms, and other resources for Boston University's study-abroad program.
The unique design of the cafe's ceilings is derived from the fractal "canyons" that are the main design element in the building. These canyons maximize solar access and natural ventilation, whilst the prismatic windows maintain privacy for the students. The geometry of the orange plexiglas cafe ceilings is based on a photograph of the building's completed canyon windows. The photo was also used to create a super-graphic on the cafe wall.
The Academic Center building was designed by Silvester Fuller and Tony Owen Partners, and was completed earlier in 2011.
At the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, the new Amir Building by Preston Scott Cohen has opened. Photo: © Amit Geron/ Courtesy Tel Aviv Museum of Art Extra Large Image
Tel Aviv · 2011.1102
At the Tel Aviv Museum of Art in Tel Aviv, Israel, the new Herta and Paul Amir Building has opened. Designed by architecture firm Preston Scott Cohen, Inc. of Cambridge, Massachusetts, the 195,000-square-foot (18,100-square-meter) concrete-and-glass building doubles the museum's exhibition space, giving it 40,900 square feet (3,800 square meters) of new galleries, as well as a library and auditorium. The facade is composed of 465 differently shaped flat panels made of precast reinforced concrete.
The design for the Amir Building arose directly from the challenge of providing several floors of large, neutral, rectangular-plan galleries within a tight, idiosyncratic, triangular site. The building's five levels ó two above grade and three below ó are essentially structurally independent plans stacked on top of each other. Cantilevers accommodate the discrepancies between plans and provide overhangs at the perimeter. Inside, the various levels are unified by a spiraling, toplit, 87-foot- (27-meter-) high atrium of cast-in-place concrete, whose form is defined by subtly twisting surfaces.
Pasadena · 2011.1101
Jacobs Engineering Group Inc., based in Pasadena, California, has acquired the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based firm KlingStubbins. Officials did not disclose the terms of the agreement.
With about 500 employees in the United States and China, KlingStubbins currently provides professional services in planning, architecture, engineering, and interiors, with a market focus and specialization in corporate/ commercial, government, science and technology, higher education, mission critical, and interiors. Those specializations reinforce high-growth markets for Jacobs, particularly science and technology and mission critical.
Jacobs is one of the world's largest providers of professional technical services, including all aspects of engineering, architecture, construction, and operations and maintenance, as well as scientific and specialty consulting. The company has more than 60,000 employees working from over 170 locations around the world.
Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...
People and Places Last Week
People and Places Archive
ArchitectureWeek Professional Directory
ArchitectureWeek Web Directory
Send us your People and Places items