Page D1.1 . 25 May 2011                     
ArchitectureWeek - Design Department
NEWS   |   DESIGN   |   BUILDING   |   DESIGN TOOLS   |   ENVIRONMENT   |   CULTURE   |   PRODUCTS
< Prev Page Next Page >
 
DESIGN
 
  •  
  • An Excellent Addition
     
  •  
  • Maki's Hillside Terrace
     
  •  
  • House at Stone Creek Camp

     
    AND MORE
      Current Contents
      People & Places
      Blog Center
      Book Center
      Download Center
      New Products
      Products Guide
      Classic Home
      Calendar
      Competitions
      Conferences
      Events & Exhibits
      Architecture Forum
      Architects Directory
      Topics Library
      Complete Archive
      Web Directory
      About ArchWeek
      Search
      Subscribe & Contribute
      Free Newsletters
       

     
    QUIZ

    An Excellent Addition

    by Michael J. Crosbie

    Designing an appropriate addition to almost any National Historic Landmark should be seen as a challenge. When the landmark building is by Frank Lloyd Wright, the challenge acquires its own dimension in history.

    In their new addition to an American masterpiece of religious architecture — Wright's First Unitarian Society Meeting House in Madison, Wisconsin — The Kubala Washatko Architects has risen beautifully to such a challenge.

    The large new annex contains an auditorium, social/ fellowship space, offices, a library, and support spaces. Yet it looks as though it was always meant to be there, showing deference to Wright's opus yet asserting its own quiet identity. In the spirit of Wright's approach to "designing with nature," as he often described it, the Meeting House addition is "green."

    The addition has also earned LEED Gold certification and is one of the Top Ten Green Projects chosen for 2011 by the Committee on the Environment (COTE) of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

    The new expansion project had a long genesis. Wright's original building was designed in 1946 and completed in 1951. Relatives of the architect had been founding members of this Unitarian congregation, and Wright himself was a member. He designed a facility to accommodate 150 parishioners.

    Wright's building is iconic with its triangular glass prism form under a broad A-frame roof, an architectural composition that suggests an abstraction of Albrecht Dürer's drawing The Hands of the Apostle. That part of the building contains the tall worship space, with a low wing extending to the west containing classrooms and social spaces.   >>>

    Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

    Continue...

    ArchWeek Image
    SUBSCRIPTION SAMPLE

    The Kubala Washatko Architects designed a LEED Gold-certified addition to Frank Lloyd Wright's Unitarian Meeting House in Madison, Wisconsin. Shown here, the worship space of the original building projects from the northeast slope of the knoll on which the church complex is sited.
    Photo: © The Kubala Washatko Architects, Inc./ Mark Heffron Extra Large Image

    ArchWeek Image
    SUBSCRIPTION SAMPLE

    Anchoring the new wing, the current worship space of the church was built into the opposite side of the knoll, southeast of Wright's original building.
    Photo: © The Kubala Washatko Architects, Inc./ Zane Williams Extra Large Image

     

    Click on thumbnail images
    to view full-size pictures.

     
    < Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
    ARCHWEEK  |  GREAT BUILDINGS  |  ARCHIPLANET  |  DISCUSSION  |  BOOKS  |  BLOGS  |  SEARCH
      ArchitectureWeek.com © 2011 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved