Page N2.1 . 01 December 2010                     
ArchitectureWeek - News Department
NEWS   |   DESIGN   |   BUILDING   |   DESIGN TOOLS   |   ENVIRONMENT   |   CULTURE
< Prev Page Next Page >
 

IN THIS ISSUE
 Contents/RSS
News
Healthcare AIA Awards
People and Places
People and Places
Design
Triangle House in Norway


AND MORE
  Current Contents
  Blog Center
  Download Center
  New Products
  Products Guide
  Classic Home
  Architecture Forum
  Architects Directory
  Topics Library
  Complete Archive
  Web Directory
  About ArchWeek
  Search
  Subscribe & Contribute
  Free Newsletters
   

 
QUIZ

01 December 2010
Architecture People and Places

HOK in Houston, Texas · Holder Mathias Architects in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom · Ennead Architects in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New York, New York · Lord, Aeck & Sargent in Newnan, Georgia · KPF with HGA in Minneapolis, Minnesota ...  


At NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, the new Building 20 by HOK has earned LEED Platinum certification. Photo: Courtesy HOK

Houston · 2010.1201
Building 20 at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, has earned LEED Platinum certification under LEED-NC v2.1. The Houston office of HOK designed the three-story, 83,000-square-foot (7,700-square-meter) office building, which accommodates up to 520 employees in mostly open office space with access to daylight and views. The new building is designed to be 57percent more energy efficient than a typical office building.

The integrated sustainable design strategies include a highly efficient building envelope, an underfloor air distribution system, a total energy recovery wheel, and a solar thermal system on the roof that heats about 18percent of the building's domestic hot water. Efficient space planning reduced the building's total gross square footage by six percent, largely through reductions in perimeter circulation. The design team also minimized use of applied materials by leaving concrete columns exposed and concrete ceilings unfinished, and using polished concrete for flooring in public areas.

The Johnson Space Center is a 100-building, 1,580-acre (640-hectare) campus that houses NASA's astronaut training programs. For Building 20, HOK provided full-service programming; architectural design; mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering; interior design; landscape architecture; sustainability and LEED consulting services; and some construction administration services.  


The new sports facility by Holder Mathias Architects has opened at the University of Glamorgan in Cardiff, Wales. Photo: © D. Gallimore/ Courtesy Holder Mathias Architects Extra Large Image

Cardiff · 2010.1118
A new coaching and performance development facility has opened in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom, at the University of Glamorgan. Holder Mathias Architects of London, Cardiff, and Munich designed the 3.7 million building, which contains a multipurpose sports hall with six courts, an ancillary support block, a strength and conditioning lab for high-level training, a lecture and meeting room, and a teaching facility with a notational analysis room.

The facility was built by Midas Construction on the existing playing fields at the Glamorgan Sport Park. The building is used by students during the day and by professional sports clubs and teams in the evening. The BREEAM Excellent-rated building includes a number of sustainable design features, including high-efficiency gas-fired boilers, daylighting, and natural ventilation.  


The National Museum of American Jewish History has officially reopened on Independence Mall in Philadelphia, in a new building designed by James Polshek of Ennead Architects. Photo: © Jeff Goldberg/ Esto Extra Large Image

Philadelphia · 2010.1115
The National Museum of American Jewish History has officially reopened in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in a new building designed by James Polshek of Ennead Architects (formerly Polshek Partnership Architects). The NMAJH, a Smithsonian Affiliate, relocated from the 15,000-square-foot (1,400-square-meter) building it had occupied since its opening in 1976 to the new $150 million, five-story, 100,000-square-foot (9,300-square-meter) building on Independence Mall.

The design consists of interlocking volumes, one translucent and the other opaque. The latter's terra cotta enclosure echoes the warm tones of the adjacent historic Bourse building (1895). The museum interior is arranged on six levels, with four floors of interactive exhibition space, a changing exhibit gallery, a 200-seat auditorium, and an education center. An 85-foot- (26-meter-) high atrium enables visitors to readily comprehend the organization of the museum.

The Ennead design team also included Joseph Fleischer, partner in charge; Robert Young, associate partner for design; and Josh Frankel, project manager.

Another Ennead project has also officially opened: the restored and adapted Roosevelt House at Hunter College in New York City. The neo-Georgian building consists of mirror-image townhouses behind a unified facade, with one entrance at street level. Designed by Charles Platt in 1907, the building was commissioned by Franklin Delano Roosevelt's mother as a home for herself and a wedding gift for FDR. The building houses the college's Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

James Polshek, Joseph Fleischer, and Christen Johansen of Ennead lead the historic preservation and adaptive reuse project, which included the addition of a basement lecture hall and the modification of some interior spaces. The New York City of STV served as owner's representative and construction manager.  


A major restoration of the Coweta County Courthouse in Newnan, Georgia, led by Lord, Aeck & Sargent, was recently completed. Photo: © 2010 Jonathan Hillyer/ Atlanta Extra Large Image

Newnan · 2010.1115
A $7.5 million restoration of the Coweta County Courthouse in Newnan, Georgia, was recently completed. Built in 1904 and designed by James Wingfield Golucke, the classical revival-style courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic preservation studio of Atlanta-based architecture firm Lord, Aeck & Sargent led the restoration project, which consisted of selective demolition of non-historic building features, exterior restoration, and interior rehabilitation that included the restoration of historically important features.

The project team removed concrete ceilings and walls and reversed other intrusive 20th-century modifications. A variety of features were restored, including the ornate copper clad clock tower and the courtroom's original pressed metal ceiling, plaster detailing, wood molding, and transoms over doorways and windows. The outmoded HVAC system was replaced with an energy-efficient system, and accessibility was improved, bringing the building into compliance with ADA.

The three-story facility, which is approximately 25,000 square feet (2,300 square meters) in size, once again houses the Coweta County Probate Court, after its 22-year absence, and also houses the Coweta County Convention & Visitors Bureau.

The project team also included Willett Engineering Co. (Tucker, Georgia), structural engineer; NBP Engineers (Macon, Georgia), MEP/ fire protection engineer; The Jaeger Co. (Gainesville, Georgia), landscape architect; Headley Construction Corp. (Newnan), general contractor; and Steinrock Roofing & Sheet Metal (Louisville, Kentucky), sheet metal contractor.  


At the University of Minnesota, the new Science Teaching and Student Services Center designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates with HGA Architects and Engineers recently opened. Photo: Tim Griffith Photography Extra Large Image

Minneapolis · 2010.1101
The new Science Teaching and Student Services Center opened this fall at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota. New York City-based Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates designed the building, with KPF founding partner William Pedersen as principal designer. The Minneapolis office of HGA Architects and Engineers (Hammel, Green and Abrahamson) served as architect of record. A replacement for the demolished Science Classroom Building, the center contains technology-rich classrooms, student-services offices, administrative offices, conference rooms, a student lounge, a cafe area, and informal study spaces.

Sited on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River, the five-story building faces Frank Gehry's Weisman Art Museum (1993) across the Washington Avenue Bridge, which connects the East Bank and West Bank parts of campus. The western facade of the new building is curved in plan, with polished stainless steel piers and vertical strip windows. In contrast, on the building's eastern side, where classrooms are concentrated, the rectilinear facade comprises striated brick and syncopated horizontal strip windows.

The building is targeting LEED Gold certification, and was designed to exceed the requirements of Minnesota's Sustainable Building Guidelines - Buildings, Benchmarks & Beyond (MSBG-B3). Sustainable strategies include daylighting, natural convection, raised floors with displacement ventilation, and high-performance glass with custom ceramic frit patterns.

Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

People and Places Last Week

People and Places Archive

ArchitectureWeek Professional Directory
ArchitectureWeek Web Directory

Send us your People and Places items  

AW

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

< Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
ARCHWEEK  |  GREAT BUILDINGS  |  ARCHIPLANET  |  DISCUSSION  |  BOOKS  |  BLOGS  |  SEARCH
  ArchitectureWeek.com © 2010 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved