Foster + Partners in Boston, Massachusetts ·
RTKL in Chicago, Illinois ·
C.F. Møller in Kristiansund, Norway ·
LMN Architects in Seattle, Washington ·
Beyer Blinder Belle in New York, New York ·
Pelli Clarke Pelli in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam ·
Frank Harmon in Raleigh, North Carolina ·
Zaha Hadid in London, England, United Kingdom ...
At the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the new Art of the Americas Wing by Foster + Partners is set to open November 20. Photo: © Chuck Choi/ Courtesy Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Extra Large Image
Boston · 2010.1110
At the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, in Boston, Massachusetts, the new Art of the Americas wing (pictured above) is scheduled to open November 20. The contemporary new wing and adjoining courtyard enclosure are the focal points of a $345 million expansion and renovation project planned and designed by Foster + Partners of London, England, United Kingdom, with CBT Architects of Boston as executive architect. The project increases the building's total square footage by 28 percent, to 616,900 square feet (57,310 square meters), and reestablishes the north-south axis envisioned by Guy Lowell, architect of the museum's original 1909 Beaux Arts building.
The 121,300-square-foot (11,270-square-meter) new wing features a central glass building flanked by two pavilions of glass and granite, one north and one south. The addition contains 53 galleries, a 150-seat auditorium, studio art classrooms, administrative offices, and meeting rooms. The Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro Family Courtyard is a soaring glass-and-steel structure enclosing one of the museum's two courtyards.
The project also improved navigation through the museum and reopened entrances on Fenway and Huntington Avenue. New landscaping strengthens the connection to Frederick Law Olmsted's Emerald Necklace along the Back Bay Fens to the north.
Norman Foster supervised the design of the expansion and renovation with Spencer de Grey and Michael Jones. The project team also included Gustafson Guthrie Nichol Ltd, Seattle, landscape architect; John Moriarty & Associates, Winchester, construction manager; Skanska USA Building Inc., Boston, enabling contractor; and George B.H. Macomber Company, Boston, preconstruction services.
Construction is underway on the National Hellenic Museum in Chicago, designed by RTKL. Image: © RTKL Extra Large Image
Chicago · 2010.1109
Construction is underway on the National Hellenic Museum in Chicago, Illinois. Rising in the West Loop neighborhood, at the gateway to Chicago's historic Greektown neighborhood, the new museum was designed by international multidisciplinary firm RTKL, with Demetrios Stavrianos as principal designer. LEED Silver certification will be sought.
The 40,000-square-foot (3,700-square-meter) building will incorporate historic architectural references, such as a stoa (covered walkway) from classical Greek architecture, and natural wood accents and elements common to Byzantine monastic structures. Materials will include natural limestone and glass. The facility will house exhibit spaces, a research library, an oral history center, a great hall, an education center, and a rooftop terrace. The contractor is local firm Centaur Construction. Completion is scheduled for fall 2011.
C.F. Møller Architects has revealed its winning design for the new Kristiansund Opera and Culture Centre in Kristiansund, Norway. Image: C.F. Møller Extra Large Image
Kristiansund · 2010.1109
C.F. Møller Architects has revealed its winning design for the new Kristiansund Opera and Culture Centre in Kristiansund, Norway. The firm, which has an office in Oslo, was selected as the final competition winner after recently sharing first prize. The 15,400-square-meter (166,000-square-foot) cultural center will house the opera, ballet center, library, college center, conference rooms, a restaurant, a cafe, and a skybar overlooking the city by the fjord.
The design organizes the variety of cultural functions around the main concert hall, with a flexible interior to facilitate future changes. The competition brief also included integration and modernization of two existing buildings, one of them the former Folkets Hus. The new facility will connect the opera with pedestrian streets, a nearby park, and the central city square. The building opening is slated for 2014.
Paccar Hall, a new business-school building designed by LMN Architects , has opened at the University of Washington in Seattle. Photo: Doug Scott Extra Large Image
Seattle · 2010.1109
The new Paccar Hall has opened at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. LMN Architects of Seattle designed the 133,000-square-foot (12,400-square-meter) building, which comprises the first phase of an expansion and renovation project to transform a collection of facilities into a cohesive educational complex for the university's Foster School of Business.
The building stands on a prominent campus site, at the public approach to the historic Memorial Way. The exterior of Paccar Hall comprises brick, glass, and metal, and the building scale and proportions respond to the historic campus context. The design provides a high degree of porosity, with interior spaces, views, and entrances organized to knit with the landscape, site topography, and campus pathways. A four-story daylit atrium runs the entire length of the building.
LEED Gold certification is targeted. Sustainable design features include extensive daylighting; operable windows in offices; displacement ventilation, indirect evaporative cooling, and high-efficiency chillers; water-conserving plumbing fixtures; reuse of salvaged wood; and retention of at least 68 trees on or adjacent to the project site.
Construction has begun on Phase II, comprising a 63,000-square-foot (5,900-square-meter) building, slated for completion in June 2012, to replace the 1960s-era Balmer Hall. The project also includes renovation of the underground library.
The 1906 McKim building at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York City has reopened after a major interior restoration by Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners. Photo: Graham Haber Extra Large Image
New York · 2010.1030
The landmark McKim building (pictured above) at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York City has reopened to the public after the completion of a $4.5 million interior restoration. The architect of record was Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP of New York City, which also worked on the Morgan's 2006 expansion and renovation by Renzo Piano.
Designed by Charles Follen McKim of McKim, Mead and White, the 1906 McKim building is an Italianate marble villa that once served as the private study and library of financier J. Pierpont Morgan. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Key components of the restoration include new lighting to better illuminate murals and decor, the opening of the North Room to visitors for the first time, installation of new exhibit cases to house rotating displays of items from the institution's collections, restoration of period furniture and fixtures, and cleaning of walls and applied ornamentation.
In the Rotunda, signature marble surfaces and mosaic panels have been cleaned and restored. Other highlights of the building include the Library (East Room), with thirty-foot (nine-meter) walls, and the Study (West Room), with its 16th-century Florentine coffered wooden ceiling and red silk damask wall coverings.
The project team for the restoration also included Stephen Saitas Designs, exhibit design, and Renfro Design Group, Inc., lighting design, both of New York City. Jennifer Tonkovich, curator of drawings and prints at the Morgan, coordinated the reinstallation of collection objects.
Ground has been broken for Vietcombank Tower in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. Image: Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects Extra Large Image
Ho Chi Minh City · 2010.1028
Ground has been broken for Vietcombank Tower (rendered above) in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, based in New Haven, Connecticut, designed the 35-story tower, sited on Me Linh Square, on the west bank of the Saigon River. The building will include Vietcombank's flagship retail location, bank offices, and additional Class A office space intended to attract international tenants.
The tower's design features multiple setbacks, a celebratory crown, and a prominent spire, evocative of classic skyscrapers. Materials were chosen to suggest stability and permanence. The exterior will incorporate light-colored granite within vertical metal ribs. Integrated custom lighting fixtures will illuminate the tower at night. At the base, a loggia of six granite piers and a canopy will mark the main entrance. An adjacent park will be open to the public.
A project of Vietcombank-Bonday-Benthanh Joint Venture Company Limited, the building has an estimated construction cost of $67 million and is scheduled for completion in 2013.
Frank Harmon Architect PA designed the recently completed new Lath House at North Carolina State University's JC Raulston Arboretum, in Raleigh. Photo: Courtesy Frank Harmon Architect PA Extra Large Image
Raleigh · 2010.1027
The replacement Lath House (pictured above) has been completed at North Carolina State University's JC Raulston Arboretum, in Raleigh, North Carolina. The building serves as open-air laboratory for horticultural research, housing hundreds of young plants as they transition towards planting in larger gardens. Frank Harmon Architect PA of Raleigh designed the structure pro bono. A screen of wood two-by-twos provides the specific light-to-shade ratio needed for the plants.
The Evelyn Grace Academy, designed by Zaha Hadid, recently opened in London. Photo: Luke Hayes Extra Large Image
London · 2010.1027
Evelyn Grace Academy (pictured above) recently opened in the Brixton district of south London, England, United Kingdom. Zaha Hadid Architects of London designed the school for ARK Schools and the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF), targeting inner-city students. The 10,745-square-meter (115,660-square-foot) academy is designed to accommodate 1,200 students within four smaller "schools within schools." Evelyn and Grace Middle Schools accommodate 270 pupils each, and Evelyn and Grace Upper Schools each accommodate 330 pupils. Each smaller school has a distinct identity internally and externally, with daylighting, natural ventilation, and understated, durable textures. Collective spaces are shared by all the schools.
Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...
People and Places Last Week
People and Places Archive
ArchitectureWeek Professional Directory
ArchitectureWeek Web Directory
Send us your People and Places items