Construction is complete on the 1465 & 1473 Fifth Avenue housing development in Harlem, designed by RKT&B Architects. Photo: © Albert Vecerka/ Esto Extra Large Image
London · 2010.1007
British architect Sir David Chipperfield CBE, RA, RDI, RIBA, whose reconstruction of the Neues Museum in Berlin was shortlisted for the recently announced 2010 Stirling Prize, has been named the recipient of the Royal Gold Medal for 2011 by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). The award was announced on October 7 and will be presented to Chipperfield on February 10, 2011.
Chipperfield's practice has won over 50 national and international competitions, and many international awards and citations for design excellence, including the Stirling Prize in 2007 for the Museum of Modern Literature in Marbach am Neckar, Germany. His firm's acclaimed restoration and rebuilding of the Neues Museum in Berlin was accomplished in partnership with Julian Harrap Architects. Chipperfield established David Chipperfield Architects in 1984 and currently has over 180 staff at offices in London, Berlin, Milan, and Shanghai.
New York · 2010.1005
Construction is complete on 1465 & 1473 Fifth Avenue (pictured above), an affordable housing development in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan. RKT&B Architects of New York City designed the $15 million, 80,000-square-foot (7,400-square-meter) Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) project for developer Artimus Construction Corporation.
The pair of eight-story buildings features three-color brick facades, with staggered window arrangements that allowed for flexibility in locating apartment walls. The ground floors are designated for commercial use. Goldreich Engineering, PC, was the structural engineer and Sideris Engineers the mechanical engineer.
Two other housing projects designed by RKT&B were recently completed in Brooklyn: an adaptive reuse of the historic Franklin Trust Bank building (1891) in Brooklyn Heights for developer United Management, and The Maynard, an affordable housing infill project in the Crown Heights neighborhood, developed by the Community Preservation Corporation Resources Inc. (CPCR).
Maryhill Museum of Art has revealed the design by GBD Architects for an addition. Image: GBD Architects/ Courtesy Maryhill Museum Extra Large Image
Goldendale · 2010.1004
Maryhill Museum of Art has revealed plans (rendered above) for a $10 million expansion of its historic building, located near Goldendale, Washington. GBD Architects of Portland, Oregon, designed the new 25,500-square-foot (2,470-square-meter) Mary and Bruce Stevenson Wing, which will feature an art education center, a centralized collections suite, a sculpture court, and a new cafe with terrace seating and views of the Columbia River Gorge.
The museum is housed in a three-story, 20,000-square-foot (1,900-square-meter) Beaux Arts mansion dating to the 1910s, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. To minimize the visual impact of the new wing, the first floor will be located underground. A 1,700-square-foot (160-square-meter) gallery at ground level will link the existing historic building to the new wing. Materials will include traditional stucco, precast concrete, and metal, with carefully placed glazing. The project also includes 11,830 square feet (1,100 square meters) of outdoor interpretive space, and the renovation of existing galleries, office spaces, and the museum store.
A LEED Gold rating is targeted for the expansion and renovation. In addition to the insulation afforded by locating part of the new wing underground, the building will include such sustainable features as concrete floors with a radiant heating system, native landscaping, ultra-low-flow plumbing fixtures, and energy-efficient lighting.
The project is being managed by Milt Ketchum of Sherman County, Oregon, and will be constructed by Schommer and Sons Construction of Portland. Completion is scheduled for March 2012.
London · 2010.1004
Fraser Brown MacKenna Architects (FBM) of London, United Kingdom, has secured planning consent from the London Borough of Bexley for the retrofit of a property on the Thamesmead Estate for Gallions Housing Association. The project will test and monitor the effectiveness of new products to improve energy efficiency, as part of the Retrofit for the Future program. The principal strategy will be to increase insulation levels. An insulated render system on the walls, a silicone render system on the roof, and new triple-glazed windows will reduce heat loss. The plans also include a prototype nanogel trombe wall on the southern elevation.
FBM has also obtained planning consent for an affordable housing redevelopment in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The project for Southern Housing Group will replace the Stepney Green Estate's existing Fulneck building, containing 30 two-bedroom maisonettes, with a 78-unit apartment building including more amenity space. The new building will be arranged around the perimeter of the site, with shops and a cafe providing an active frontage on Mile End Road. Thirty percent of the residential units are designed to accommodate larger families. Materials will include soft yellow London Stock Brick and laminate rainscreen cladding. The scheme will meet Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3, generating 20 percent of the anticipated energy needs of the new development from renewable sources.
New York · 2010.1004
Meltzer/ Mandl Architects, P.C. of New York City has named David G. Carpenter, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP, a partner and executive vice president of the firm. The firm's only partner besides Marvin H. Meltzer, Carpenter has been with the firm for seven years as a vice president, and helped restructure it following the death of cofounder David Mandl in 2007. Formerly an executive of JGM in Los Angeles, California, Carpenter has more than 20 years of experience in the design and administration of complex mixed-use development projects.
Construction is underway on the new Los Angeles Harbor College Sciences Complex by HGA. Image: Courtesy HGA Extra Large Image
Los Angeles · 2010.1004
Construction is underway on a replacement Sciences Complex (rendered above) at Los Angeles Harbor College in the Wilmington district of Los Angeles, California. The $44 million complex will consist of two L-shaped steel-frame structures: a three-story east wing containing laboratories, and a two-story west wing housing lecture halls, classrooms, and offices. Designed by HGA Architects & Engineers (Hammel, Green and Abrahamson), the 73,800-square-foot (6,860-square-meter) building is targeting LEED Platinum certification.
Sustainable features will include natural ventilation, extensive daylighting, and solar panels expected to generate 18 percent of energy needed, with additional solar power provided from the campus photovoltaic system to help the complex achieve net-zero energy use. A system of red and green lights on windows will indicate to users when to open windows. Sunken lecture halls will take advantage of the thermal mass of the earth. Rainwater will be stored in a 95,400-gallon (361,000-liter) underground detention basin. The complex is expected to achieve a water usage reduction of 54 percent and energy use reduction of 43 percent.
Completion is expected in May 2012. HGA principal and project manager James Matson, AIA, is leading the design team. Pinner Construction is the design-build contractor and Arcadis is the construction manager and project manager.
The new Fall River Justice Center, designed by Finegold Alexander + Associates Inc, has opened in Fall River, Massachusetts. Photo: Anton Grassl/ Esto Extra Large Image
Fall River · 2010.1001
The new Fall River Justice Center (pictured above) has opened in downtown Fall River, Massachusetts. Replacing two older court buildings, the $85 million, 154,000-square-foot (14,300-square-meter) building will serve as the new Superior and District Court. Architecture firm Finegold Alexander + Associates Inc of Boston designed the facility, which is targeting LEED Silver certification.
The curving, L-shaped new courthouse contains nine courtrooms, a law library, and detention and jury pool areas. The entire building, including all courtrooms, was designed to benefit from daylighting, and also offers views across the nearby harbor. The building's structural bay is based on the dimensions of the courtrooms, and most floors are the same height to facilitate possible future reconfiguration of the facility. Materials include light-gray dolomite limestone, extensive glazing, and eucalyptus millwork.
Providence, Rhode Island-based Dimeo Construction Company served as construction manager.
Charlotte · 2010.0929
The Duke Energy Center, part of the Wells Fargo Cultural Campus in downtown Charlotte, North Carolina, recently received LEED Platinum certification under LEED-CS v2.0. The Atlanta, Georgia, office of tvsdesign designed the office tower, and also led a design team to create the master plan for the cultural campus, which includes the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art by Mario Botta.
The 48-story, 1.5 million-square-foot (140,000-square-meter) office building is estimated to achieve 85 percent better water efficiency and 22 percent better energy efficiency than a comparable conventionally designed tower. The building houses Duke Energy's headquarters, and is owned by Wells Fargo & Co., which holds 15 floors for its own use. The tower and cultural campus were commissioned by Wachovia, now part of Wells Fargo.
Portland · 2010.0929
Portland, Oregon-based ZGF Architects LLP has named two new partners to the firm: Kelly Davis and Braulio Baptista. Davis has led mixed-use, government, civic, healthcare, and transit projects. At ZGF, as principal-in-charge and project manager, he has served clients such as the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. General Services Administration, the Portland International Airport, and Kaiser Permanente.
Baptista has served as senior designer for a broad range of advanced-technology and sustainable public and institutional buildings, including for Reed College, Peoria Riverfront Museum, and the Superior Courts of California.
A new restaurant has opened at New York City's Lincoln Center: the grass-roofed Lincoln, designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro. Photo: Mark Bussell Extra Large Image
New York · 2010.0928
The restaurant Lincoln (pictured above) has opened at Lincoln Center in New York City. Diller Scofidio + Renfro, the New York City architecture firm that designed much of the nearly completed $1.2 billion redevelopment of the Lincoln Center campus, also designed the freestanding restaurant pavilion, working in association with New York City-based FXFowle Architects on the restaurant exterior.
Atop the building stretches a 7,200-square-foot (670-square-meter) walkable rooftop lawn with a sloping hyperbolic paraboloid form. The twisting curvature of the roof creates a variety of ceiling heights beneath, while the building's glass walls offer panoramic views of the surrounding buildings, including the Metropolitan Opera, the Juilliard School building/ Alice Tully Hall, and others. The two-level, 11,000-square-foot (1,000-square-meter) restaurant has an entrance from 65th Street to its lower level, and from the Hearst Plaza (formerly the North Plaza) into its main level.
The combination of a mahogany-veneer ceiling inside and a resin-based wood product under the exterior overhangs creates the impression of a single, uninterrupted surface. Interior details include stone tiles, recessed lighting and up-lighting, and furniture in a variety of woods. At the center of the 155-seat Italian restaurant stands the 1,000-square-foot (93-square-meter) kitchen, designed by Yui Design.
People and Places Last Week
People and Places Archive
ArchitectureWeek Professional Directory
ArchitectureWeek Web Directory
Send us your People and Places items