AIA National Design Awards 2010
Several other projects have also been covered in ArchitectureWeek: Outpost, a home in central Idaho by Olson Kundig Architects (AIA Housing Awards 2009); Camino Nuevo High School in Los Angeles, by Daly Genik (AIA Education Awards 2009); the Macallen Building Condominiums in Boston, by Office dA, Inc. and Burt Hill (AIA/ COTE Top Ten Green Projects 2009); and the TKTS Booth and redeveloped Father Duffy Square in New York City, by Perkins Eastman, Choi Ropiha, and PKSB Architects (Australian Institute of Architects national awards 2009).
Shade Pavilion in Texas
For the Raymond and Susan Brochstein Pavilion, Rice University sought a structure to foster relaxed interaction among students and faculty.
The design by Thomas Phifer and Partners creates a clear destination while maintaining connectedness on several levels: the curtain wall system provides views in and out, a series of double doors allow fluid circulation, and the garden seating, fountains, and added trees integrate the new structure into the quad.
The 6,000-square-foot (560-square-meter) pavilion features an overhead trellis structure of steel and aluminum that shades the building and the surrounding seating terrace. By reducing direct sun an average of 70 percent, and thus reducing the required mechanical cooling load by almost a third, the trellis permits the structure to stand open for much of the year. Skylights transmit daylight inside, filtered by perforated aluminum sunshade diffusers atop the roof and a perforated metal ceiling system.
The AIA architecture awards jury praised the structure's "rigorous geometry, beautiful proportions and attention to detailing," calling it "a deceivingly simple glass, aluminum and steel jewel that solves complex issues on campus."
Ohio State Architecture
At the Ohio State University in Columbus, Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects designed the new building for the Austin E. Knowlton School of Architecture. The architects sought to "create a nonhierarchical spatial condition that promotes connectivity among departments, individuals, spaces and ideas." WSA Studio served as associate architect.
A system of inclined planes moves upward through the 176,000-square-foot (16,400-square-meter) building, leading from the main entrance past public areas, studios, and review spaces and ultimately to the library and roof garden. Where the inclined plane slices through the floor plates, it offers views between levels, creating a varied visual connectivity.
"It is full of unique spaces," lauded the jury, "an open flexible hall that beckons people to participate and seems to have surprises around every corner."
The building features a number of energy-efficiency measures. It is oriented along an east-west axis, with about 70 percent of the perimeter facing north or south. On the east and west exposures, less than eight percent of the wall area has glass, and hot water ﬁnned radiation was included for all glass exposures.
Urban Outfitters at the Navy Yard
At the decommissioned Philadelphia Navy Yard (now a National Historic District), a cluster of industrial buildings has been transformed into the new 285,000-square-foot (26,500-square-meter) corporate campus for Urban Outfitters.
Originally constructed from 1880 to 1939, the five dilapidated buildings selected by the retailer were adapted by architects Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle, Ltd. and associate firm H2L2 Architects Planners LLC to house three clothing brands — Anthropologie, Free People, and Urban Outfitters — along with a campus commons and shared services offices.
The large, open building interiors now combine enclosed public places and open studio spaces for fashion design. The mixed industrial aesthetic suits the company's brand image: new insertions are juxtaposed with massive ship-building cranes, walls made from old doors, and other remnants.
In these structures, originally designed to ensure daylighting for ship construction, the rooftop light monitors, skylights, clerestories, and windows were reopened, restored, and replaced as necessary.
Said the jury: "The tension beween old and new, tactile and smooth, light and dark, indoor and out, all of this while holding in character with the corporate image — genius."
Industrial Pavilion in Germany
Like the Brochstein Pavilion at Rice University, the new cafeteria building on the Trumpf GmbH & Co. KG industrial campus in Ditzingen, Germany, offers as a central gathering place for both blue-collar and white-collar employees. The building serves primarily as a food-service facility, but can also function as an auditorium.
Designed by Barkow Leibinger Architects, the structure consists of a large canopy roof over a 5,400-square-meter (500-square-foot) space, enclosed largely by glass facades. The main level is set four meters (13 feet) below grade to align with an underground tunnel system that allows all-weather movement between buildings. The glazing was chosen to reduce heat gain, which is further minimized by a series of rolling screens stored in ﬂoor pockets.
The architects worked with structural engineer Werner Sobek to develop the roof structure, which combines a steel frame and columns with a glulam-wood-cell inﬁll. Each wood-framed cell contains either a skylight, perforated wood acoustical planking, or artiﬁcial lighting modiﬁed by an aluminum-honeycombed deﬂector.
Lauding the "clever structural strategy," the jury described the pavilion as "crisp, elegant and ordered with a fantastic floating canopy that engages the campus landscape."
Lincoln Center Landmark Revised
The Lincoln Center performing arts complex in New York City is in the midst of substantial renovations to connect with the surrounding streetscape and improve energy efficiency. Part of that ongoing project is the redesign of Alice Tully Hall, located within the 1969 Juilliard School building by Pietro Belluschi.
Diller Scofidio + Renfro, in collaboration with FXFowle Architects, designed 25,000-square-foot (2,300-square-meter) expansion and renovation of the hall's theater, lobbies, and performer support spaces.
The 1,100-seat performance hall has been transformed from a good multipurpose hall into a high-quality chamber music venue. The interior has been reshaped and clad in a high-performance wood liner that distributes sound evenly and adds visual warmth. Camouflaged in the skin are translucent panels, made of custom-molded resin with a wood veneer, that can be illuminated, allowing the walls to glow.
But the most public change to the facility is the new three-story glass outer lobby. A shear one-way cable-net glass facade now reveals the flurry of indoor activity to Broadway. "This project takes an introverted anti-urban building and engages it with the city, bringing a sense of performance and theater right out to the sidewalk," remarked the jury.
Sustainable features include radiant heating and cooling and high-performance exterior wall systems.
Gulf Coast Landmark Reclaimed
In Biloxi, Mississippi, a National Historic Landmark severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina has been restored: Beauvoir, the 1852 mansion where Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, lived and wrote his memoirs in the late 1800s.
During the 2005 hurricane, the main floor of the mansion was flooded with an estimated 12 feet (3.7 meters) of water, despite the fact that it stands nearly ten feet (three meters) above grade and 26 feet (eight meters) above sea level. The storm surge tore the piers out from under the wraparound porches, leaving the foundation and envelope compromised; other buildings on the estate were destroyed. The National Trust for Historic Preservation included the house in its 11 Most Endangered Historic Places list for 2006 as a threatened Mississippi Coast landmark.
Under the guidance of Albert & Associates Architects, the house was restored to its Davis-era status, with the period of significance designated as 1877 to 1889. The structure was rebuilt in post-and-beam fashion to mimic its original construction, reusing as many heavy timbers as possible. Structural improvements, such as stainless steel rods run through the columns and lateral bracing of the foundation, were made visually discreet.
The restoration was completed within three years of Katrina, and the Mississippi Division of the Sons of the Confederate Veterans once again operates Beauvoir as a museum honoring Davis.
Corporate Headquarters in Illinois
The Serta International Center in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, seems to float above the surrounding prairie and wetlands. The 90,000-square-foot (8,400-square-meter) corporate headquarters for the Serta mattress company, designed by Andrew Metter, FAIA, of Epstein/ Metter Studios, comprises an office wing and a research and development wing connected by shared public spaces.
Work areas benefit from extensive daylighting, operable windows, and views of the landscape, with glass interior partitions to transmit light. An upper concrete "brow" shades the exterior of the building, while a lower such protrusion serves as a light shelf.
Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...