Page C1.1 . 03 February 2010                     
ArchitectureWeek - Culture Department
NEWS   |   DESIGN   |   BUILDING   |   DESIGN TOOLS   |   ENVIRONMENT   |   CULTURE
< Prev Page Next Page >
 
CULTURE
 
  •  
  • Gothic Kaleidoscope
     
  •  
  • Transparency in Preservation

     
    AND MORE
      Current Contents
      Blog Center
      Download Center
      New Products
      Products Guide
      Classic Home
      Architecture Forum
      Architects Directory
      Topics Library
      Complete Archive
      Web Directory
      About ArchWeek
      Search
      Subscribe & Contribute
      Free Newsletters
       

     
    QUIZ

    [an error occurred while processing this directive]

    Gothic Kaleidoscope

    by David Stephenson

    The Gothic style flourished in Central Europe during the late Gothic period, with many of the most exciting innovations in vault design found in churches built in the regions of present-day Germany and the Czech Republic.

    Especially in Central Europe, the large number of churches built in the late Middle Ages was primarily due to the enormous growth of towns. Affluence and civic pride fueled a competitive surge in the construction of parish churches, sometimes of a scale rivaling the cathedrals.

    In England, Late Gothic architects continued to experiment with new vault forms throughout the 15th and 16th centuries.

    Late Gothic Architecture in Central Europe (1300-1550): Net Vaults

    At both the Church of the Holy Spirit (1407-1461) in Landshut, Germany, and the Church of St. John (1467-1502) in Dingolfing, the apse end has a single pier, maintaining a more constant pier spacing. As with many 15th-century German hall churches, the net vaults with their pattern of closely spaced ribs show a growing sophistication in the experimentation with English-derived forms.

    ADVERTISEMENT...

    GET GRAPHIC — BIG PICTURE ADS AT ARCHWEEK...

    In the Church of St. Martin (1385-1480), in Landshut, the choir was built first by Hanns Krummenauer, with a complex vault. He was succeeded in the nave by Hanns Purhauser, with a vault that is an almost identical copy of Peter Parler's vaults in St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague. Purhauser was one of the great German architects of the period, who also designed the main parish church in Salzburg, Austria.   >>>

    Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

    This article is excerpted from Heavenly Vaults by David Stephenson, copyright © 2009, with permission of the publisher, Princeton Architectural Press.

     

    Continue...

    ArchWeek Image
    SUBSCRIPTION SAMPLE

    The light-toned gothic vaults of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Landshut, Germany, designed by Hans von Burghausen.
    Photo: © David Stephenson Extra Large Image

    ArchWeek Image

    A similar vault pattern can be seen at the Church of St. John (Stadtpfarrkirche St. Johannes der Täufer) in nearby Dingolfing, Germany.
    Photo: © David Stephenson Extra Large Image

     

    Click on thumbnail images
    to view full-size pictures.

     
    < Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
    ARCHWEEK  |  GREAT BUILDINGS  |  ARCHIPLANET  |  DISCUSSION  |  BOOKS  |  BLOGS  |  SEARCH
      ArchitectureWeek.com © 2010 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved