Page N4.3. 13 December 2006                     
ArchitectureWeek - News Department
NEWS   |   DESIGN   |   BUILDING   |   DESIGN TOOLS   |   ENVIRONMENT   |   CULTURE
< Prev Page Next Page >
 
NEWS
 
  •  
  • Building Boston 2006
     
  •  
  • Seattle Design Awards 2006
     
  •  
  • Urban Design Prize to Calthorpe
     
  •  
  • Chicago Landmark Awards

     
     

    AND MORE
      Current Contents
      People & Places
      Blog Center
      Book Center
      Download Center
      New Products
      Products Guide
      Classic Home
      Calendar
      Competitions
      Conferences
      Events & Exhibits
      Architecture Forum
      Architects Directory
      Topics Library
      Complete Archive
      Web Directory
      About ArchWeek
      Search
      Subscribe & Contribute
      Free Newsletters
       

     
    QUIZ

    Chicago Landmark Awards

    continued

    Around 1950, the terra-cotta cornice was removed from the Marquette Building when an additional story was added. The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation restored the exterior in two phases: reconstructing the cornice and replacing the 17th story windows to match the original windows; and cleaning and restoring the masonry and restoring the remainder of the windows.

    The Chicago Varnish Co. Building was built in 1895 for a producer of varnishes for railroad cars, coaches, and interiors. The building was designed by architect Henry Ives Cobb, best known for his work at the University of Chicago Hyde Park campus. The building is distinctive for its use of the Dutch Renaissance revival style, with its stepped gables, steeply-pitched tile roof, and contrasting brick and stone masonry.

    The current owner, Harry Caray's Restaurant, undertook an extensive rehabilitation, replacing the multi-gabled clay tile roof and rebuilding the stepped parapets.

    Making Amends

    The egregious insensitivity to historic detail is perhaps nowhere more evident among these historic buildings as in the Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. Building. Originally designed by Louis Sullivan for Schlesinger & Mayer, a local dry goods company, it was constructed in two phases completed in 1899 and 1904.

    The Carson, Pirie, Scott & Company purchased the building and in 1905 began a series of additions designed by Daniel Burnham to be faithful to Sullivan's original scheme. By the late 1940s, the terra-cotta cornice was in need of repair and was removed.

    The current owner, Joseph Freed & Associates, LLC, has reconstructed the missing cornice and 8th-floor loggia based on historic photographs and typical Sullivanesque motifs. Masonry and window repair and architectural lighting were also undertaken as part of the restoration.

    In contrast to many of the projects in this awards program, which corrected problems caused by neglect or abuse, one award was specifically given to honor an organization, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S.A., for its ongoing stewardship.

    The Elks National Memorial Headquarters Building is the result of contributions by architect Egerton Swartwout of the Boston firm Desmond & Lord, sculptor Adolph A. Weinman, and muralists Edwin Howland Blashfield and Eugene Savage. The beaux-arts monument recalls a classical circular temple, having been modeled after the Pantheon in Rome.

    The ten projects shown here stand in good company. The city has 243 individual landmark buildings, monuments, and sites, and 41 designated landmark districts, with more than 7,000 structures of historical significance.

    The City of Chicago Landmark Division works with homeowners, businesses, and developers to preserve and maintain historic properties. The awards are presented to owners in recognition of their critical role in preserving the city's historic landmarks and keeping them in active use.

     

    Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

    AW

    ArchWeek Image

    The 35 East Wacker Building in Chicago received extensive exterior restoration and an award for preservation excellence.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    Restored first-floor lobby ceiling in the 35 East Wacker Building.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    The 1894 Marquette Building, by Holabird & Roche, before its cornice was removed.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    The Marquette Building after its cornice was replaced.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    The Chicago Varnish Co. Building (1895).
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    The Chicago Varnish Co. Building after restoration, now Harry Caray’s Restaurant.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    Chicago's Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. Building, by Louis Sullivan, completed in 1904.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. Building without its cornice, following a misguided remodel in the late 1940s.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    Recent cornice replacement for the Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. Building.
    Photo: Commission on Chicago Landmarks

    ArchWeek Image

    The Elks National Memorial Headquarters Building is a beaux-arts monument modeled after the Pantheon.
    Photo: Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S.A.

     

    Click on thumbnail images
    to view full-size pictures.

     
    < Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
    ARCHWEEK   |   GREAT BUILDINGS   |   DISCUSSION   |   NEW BOOKS   |   FREE 3D   |   SEARCH
      ArchitectureWeek.com © 2006 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved