Page N4.2 . 31 August 2005                     
ArchitectureWeek - News Department
NEWS   |   DESIGN   |   BUILDING   |   DESIGN TOOLS   |   ENVIRONMENT   |   CULTURE
< Prev Page Next Page >
 
NEWS
 
  •  
  • Disaster Engineering
     
  •  
  • Urban Worlds Meeting
     
  •  
  • Wood Design Awards 2005
     
  •  
  • Palladio Awards 2005

      [an error occurred while processing this directive]
    AND MORE
      Current Contents
      Blog Center
      Download Center
      New Products
      Products Guide
      Classic Home
      Architecture Forum
      Architects Directory
      Topics Library
      Complete Archive
      Web Directory
      About ArchWeek
      Search
      Subscribe & Contribute
      Free Newsletters
       

     
    QUIZ

    [an error occurred while processing this directive]

    Palladio Awards 2005

    continued

    The library is constructed of stuccoed masonry walls typical of local construction and has a clay-tile roof. Considered the most important new building on campus, it received the highest level of detail. Its main entry at the north is indicated by four two-story pilasters that frame an arched doorway and a broken pediment that rests above a frieze painted with a Latin inscription: Verum Bonum Pulchrum, Truth Goodness Beauty.

    Receiving the commercial new design and construction over 30,000 square feet (2800 square meters) is the K.C. Irving Environmental Science Centre and Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens (not pictured here) at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Robert A. M. Stern Architects and Novell Tullett Landscape Architects, Bristol, England crafted a three-story building for research and teaching in the biological and environmental sciences.

    The building reflects the culture and historical character of the campus in its Georgian classical vocabulary of hand-molded, water-struck red brick, carved limestone trim, slate roof, and copper-roofed cupola.

    The Widener Memorial Library at Harvard University received the award for restoration and renovation, carried out by Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering, PC. Here the challenge was to provide 21st-century amenities in a 1915 Beaux Arts building and beloved campus landmark.

    The eight-year project included modernizing the library's stack system, installing new building systems, and the restoring the building's historical character. Photographs, historic descriptions, and material investigations revealed the building's 1915 appearance. Wherever possible, existing features and finishes were preserved, based on analyses by Building Conservation Associates.

    The Palladio commercial adaptive reuse award went to The Ohio Judicial Center in Columbus, by architect Schooley Caldwell Associates and associate architect Moody-Nolan, Inc. A 1931 office building now houses the Supreme Court of Ohio, with courtrooms, offices, and the Supreme Court's law library.

    Robert D. Loversidge Jr., FAIA, principal in charge, explains: "We found that this building had all of the requirements: ornate public spaces that could be made into courtrooms, offices, and the state library on the top floors. The challenge was to make it work and to introduce all of the functionality of the 21st century into a building built during the depression, without having the mechanical equipment becoming a primary feature."

    Now the judges and their staff work in an environment infused with the cultural history of their state. Like the American students in Switzerland, the scientists at Acadia University, the library patrons at Harvard, and the homeowners mentioned earlier, they will have the best of two eras: the comforts of modernity within the splendor of history.

    The Palladio Awards jury included Robert Baird, Historical Arts & Casting, Inc., West Jordan, Utah; Jean Carroon, Goody Clancy, Boston; Mark Ferguson, Ferguson & Shamamian Architects, LLP, New York; Dale Frens, Frens & Frens, LLC, West Chester, Pennsylvania; Raymond Pepi, Building Conservation Associates, Inc., New York; Rolando Rivas-Camp, General Services Administration, Washington, DC; Thomas Gordon Smith, Thomas Gordon Smith Architects, South Bend, Indiana; and Eric Watson, Eric Watson, Architect, PA, Tampa, Florida.

    The six residential award recipients were published in the July 2005 issue of Period Homes, and the four commercial award winners appeared in the June 2005 issue of Traditional Building. Many thanks to the authors of those articles: Marieke Cassia Gartner, Martha McDonald, Will Holloway, and Hadiya Strasberg.

     

    Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

    AW

    ArchWeek Image

    The Greek revival Riverview House in Concord, Massachusetts, by Albert, Righter & Tittmann Architects, Inc. received a 2005 Palladio Award. The various pavilions are distinguished by color and degree of detailing.
    Photo: Robert Benson

    ArchWeek Image

    Courtyard view from the Riverview House's front door to the attached garage contrasts the formal Doric columns of the front porch with the informal shingled supports for the side porch.
    Photo: Robert Benson

    ArchWeek Image

    The new library, by David Mayernik Ltd., at The American School in Switzerland sports a brick-paved walkway, classical facade elements, and an arcade for "Monticello" classrooms.
    Photo: Roberto Paltrinieri

    ArchWeek Image

    The new library (far left) is part of a master plan by David Mayernik Ltd. for The American School in Switzerland in Lugano.
    Image: David Mayernik

    ArchWeek Image

    The 1915 Widener Memorial Library at Harvard University, designed by Horace Trumbauer & Associates, has been restored and renovated by Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering, PC.
    Photo: Peter Vanderwarker

    ArchWeek Image

    The Phillips Reading Room, in the Widener Library, is one of two study areas made usable by an innovative skylight system over a previously unoccupied light well.
    Photo: Peter Vanderwarker

    ArchWeek Image

    The Ohio Judicial Center is an adaptive reuse of an office building in Columbus.
    Photo: Brad Feinknopf, Feinknopf Photography

    ArchWeek Image

    The historic reading room in the Ohio Judicial Center was restored to its original appearance by conserving the murals, updating the lighting, and adding new furnishings.
    Photo: Brad Feinknopf, Feinknopf Photography

     

    Click on thumbnail images
    to view full-size pictures.

     
    < Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
    ARCHWEEK   |   GREAT BUILDINGS   |   DISCUSSION   |   NEW BOOKS   |   FREE 3D   |   SEARCH
      ArchitectureWeek.com © 2005 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved