Page N2.1 . 23 February 2005                     
ArchitectureWeek - News Department
< Prev Page Next Page >
 

 

 
QUIZ

Timely Watchworks

by ArchitectureWeek

If "Swiss clock maker" conjures an image of quaint craftsmanship conducted in gingerbread workshops, think again. The oldest active watch making firm in the world, Vacheron Constantin, recently celebrated the opening of a new headquarters building that looks as sleek and trim as any 21st-century timekeeping technology.

Located in the Plan-les-Ouates area, in the canton of Geneva, Switzerland, the facility was designed by Paris-based Bernard Tschumi Urbanistes Architects, headed by principals Bernard Tschumi and Véronique Descharrières. The building was specifically crafted to convey an image of both novelty and continuity with the past. Founded in 1755, Vacheron Constantin takes pride in its creative design and technical mastery of research and production.

The new 110,000-square-foot (10,250-square-meter) corporate headquarters brings administrative and manufacturing functions together under the same roof. Its curving metallic envelope is glazed on the north and south faces, providing differing qualities of daylight for internal functions.   >>>

Discuss this article in the Architecture Forum...

Continue...

ArchWeek Image

Glazed southern facade of the Vacheron Constantin corporate headquarters and factory by Bernard Tschumi Architects.
Photo: Christian Richters

ArchWeek Image

Glass and steel of the entrance atrium.
Photo: Christian Richters

 

Click on thumbnail images
to view full-size pictures.

 
< Prev Page Next Page > Send this to a friend       Subscribe       Contribute       Media Kit       Privacy       Comments
ARCHWEEK   |   GREAT BUILDINGS   |   DISCUSSION   |   NEW BOOKS   |   FREE 3D   |   SEARCH
  ArchitectureWeek.com © 2005 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved