Pelli's Renewed Investment Building
by William Lebovich
Building by building, Cesar Pelli is adding his touch to the staid architecture of Washington, D.C. In 1997, his terminal at Reagan National Airport, just south of the city, opened to rave reviews for its soaring, light- and art-filled bays beneath open trusses and for its dramatically silhouetted, metal-sheathed tower and terminal modules.
In the fall of 2000, Pelli's most recent challenge, the "new" Investment Building, opened to re-invigorate Washington's K Street. Leaving two historic limestone facades intact, he replaced the rest of the structure, providing the city with what may be its best interior since the Pension Building, now the National Building Museum, opened in 1887.
The original Investment Building was completed in 1924, designed by Washington's premiere Beaux-Arts architect, Jules Henri de Sibour. He gave the monumental facades along K Street and 15th Street elaborately detailed copper window architraves, stringcourses, cornices, and escutcheons. >>>
The Investment Building in Washington D.C., completed in 1924 by Beaux-Arts architect, Jules Henri de Sibour and rebuilt in 2000 by Cesar Pelli.
Photo: William Lebovich
The lobby of the law firm Sidley Austin Brown & Wood, designed by Cesar Pelli and Gensler.
Photo: Nick Merrick/ Hedrich Blessing
Click on thumbnail images
to view full-size pictures.