Quizzical Pursuit - The Architecture Puzzler
by Dave Guadagni
Architecture Puzzler This Week
If you were going to plaster a wall would you:
a) Start at top of wall and work down?
b) Start at middle and work both ways?
c) Start at bottom and work up?
Bookmark this page:
The solution to this week's puzzlers will be published here next week.
Puzzler Questions for 17 May 2000
1. Masonry fireplaces in the eastern United States typically have a cast iron damper, while steel dampers are more popular in the west. To avoid rust, stainless steel dampers are favored along the coast. What is the major disadvantage of each?
2. This English architect designed Trinity Church in New York City and was the AIA's first president. Who was he?
3. If you notice that the new finish on your wood floor is "crawling" what are you seeing? What is the likely cause?
4. Titanium dioxide is a pigment used in stains. What color is it? What properties does it bring to stains?
5. What single construction area are these terms related to? Nidging, pick & dip, arkos, grog, cramp, fat mix, frog, lewis, raggle, and rock rash.
Puzzler Solutions for 17 May 2000
Dave Guadagni, AIA, is an architect with Robertson/Sherwood/Architects
Quizzical Pursuit is Copyright 2000, Dave Guadagni.