Quizzical Pursuit - The Architecture Puzzler
by Dave Guadagni
Solutions for the 17 May 2000 Puzzler
1. Masonry fireplaces in the eastern United States typically have a cast iron damper, while steel dampers are more popular in the west. To avoid rust, stainless steel dampers are favored along the coast. What is the major disadvantage of each?
The major disadvantage of cast iron dampers in masonry fireplaces is cracking. The disadvantage of steel is warping. The disadvantage of stainless steel is cost.
2. This English architect designed Trinity Church in New York City and was the AIA's first president. Who was he?
Richard Upjohn (1802 - 1878)
3. If you notice that the new finish on your wood floor is "crawling" what are you seeing? What is the likely cause?
"Crawling" is a defect in which a wet coat recedes from small areas of the surface leaving them uncoated. This is usually caused by surface contamination or sometimes by a product formulation defect.
4. Titanium dioxide is a pigment used in stains. What color is it? What properties does it bring to stains?
A white pigment, Titanium Dioxide is used in stains primarily to increase hiding power and give greater brightness.
5. What single construction area are these terms related to? Nidging, pick & dip, arkos, grog, cramp, fat mix, frog, lewis, raggle, and rock rash.
These terms all relate to masonry construction. A good reference for these is the glossary of the Masonry Institute.
Bookmark this page:
The answers to this week's puzzler will be published here next week.
Dave Guadagni, AIA, is an architect with Robertson/Sherwood/Architects
Quizzical Pursuit is Copyright 2000, Dave Guadagni.