Quizzical Pursuit - The Architecture Puzzler
by Dave Guadagni
Puzzler Questions for 17 May, 2000
1. Masonry fireplaces in the eastern United States typically have a cast iron damper, while steel dampers are more popular in the west. To avoid rust, stainless steel dampers are favored along the coast. What is the major disadvantage of each?
2. This English architect designed Trinity Church in New York City and was the AIA's first president. Who was he?
3. If you notice that the new finish on your wood floor is "crawling" what are you seeing? What is the likely cause?
4. Titanium dioxide is a pigment used in stains. What color is it? What properties does it bring to stains?
5. What single construction area are these terms related to? Nidging, pick & dip, arkos, grog, cramp, fat mix, frog, lewis, raggle, and rock rash.
Bookmark this page!
The answers to this week's puzzler will be published here on 24 May, 2000.
Quizzical Pursuit Copyright 2000, Dave Guadagni.
Dave Guadagni, AIA, is an architect with Robertson/Sherwood/Architects